Tuesday 18 December 2012

Vegetable Paella

Vege paella's kinda helpful if you have some veg which needs using. Obviously, traditional paella usually has some kind of seafood in it, but seafood's gross, so I can't offer any help with that. This is really quick and easy to throw together, and is pretty tasty without the spices if you can't afford them. 
The original recipe is from a BBC Good Food recipe book my stepmum gave me when I came to uni. It's one of the 101 range, and I would massively recommend getting a couple, they're great!


Ingredients (serves 4)

8oz rice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1garlic clove
2 peppers (I used one orange and one red)
4oz mushrooms (I used 4 large mushrooms, couldn't be bothered to weigh them)
1.5 pints vege stock (I make half a pint properly and then just use water to top it up)
4oz frozen peas
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn saffron, although I don't have any so have never used it in this recipe
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Method (takes around 30 mins)
1. Cook the onion in a pan until soft, then add the garlic, peppers and mushrooms. 
2. Once the veg has cooked through, add the rice and stir for 1 minute, before adding all of the stock. Leave to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost cooked (add more water if you need to).
3. Throw in the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. After serving, scatter the tomato and parsley over the paella. A nice touch for this dish is to add cheese, feta is best, but a strong cheddar works just as well too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment