Tuesday 25 December 2012

Homemade Pizza

This should have been uploaded a few days ago, but I've had internet problems. Although I'm not too bothered about that now, because I've got lots of baking/cooking things for Christmas which I'm uber excited to use, and so might go slightly blogging mental once I'm back after the Christmas holiday!


I love making my own pizza, it's quick and easy, and uses ingredients that we almost always have in the house. Once the base is made, you can add whatever you like really, but this one's pretty simple because it was made the day before I went home for Christmas and we didn't have much left in the house. I forgot to take a picture once it was done, I was very hungry and it smelt amazing, so I only have a picture of just before it went in the oven.




Ingredients (the dough makes enough to serve 2)

Dough
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
6 tbspn cooking oil
2/3 cup milk


Topping - this is variable, throw on whatever you fancy, but for this one, I used -
2 tbspn tomato paste
1 tbspn garlic puree
1 tbspn sticky BBQ sauce
1 red onion finely chopped
1 handful mushrooms roughly chopped
lots of cheese (I didn't weigh it)
sprinkle of basil and thyme


I know recipes that use cups are annoying, because everyone's cups are different, but I've put a picture of mine compared to a normal Strongbow can so you know sort of what size it is. Although my stepmum apparently paid attention to my hatred of cup sizes and bought me some proper measuring cups for Christmas (yay)!


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
1. Sieve all the flour into a bowl and create a hole in the middle. Pour the oil into the whole and mix together thoroughly, either with your hands or a small spoon. 
2. Add the milk slowly, continually mixing with your hands. The dough should go a little gooey, but not so sticky that you can't get it off your hands.
3. Sprinkle some flour on a surface, your hands, and a rolling pin, and roll the dough until it's around 1cm thick, turning it over a few times to prevent sticking. 
4. Grease a baking tray with oil, and place the dough on it. At this point, if you like, you can be inventive and create a thick crust by folding the edges over, which can then be stuffed (this is really tasty if you create little pouches with feta in them).
5. Spread the tomato paste, garlic puree and BBQ sauce evenly over the base, leaving approx a centimetre clear around the edge. 
6. Spread your toppings over the sauce, with the cheese going on last.
7. Sprinkle on the basil and thyme, and place in the over for 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it in the last few minutes, because if you leave it thin crust, it can burn quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment